Appraisal Seminar: AN EYE OPENER
by Ms. Rosemarie D. Saysay, Assistant Internal Auditor
This very informative forum was held on October 18, 2014 at the 3rd Floor, Training Hall of the San Jose del Monte Savings and Credit Cooperative (SJDMSCC) Main Building which was attended by the members of the board of directors, management officers and selected staff.
The resource speaker Engr. Hermilando C. Feliciano, Land Engineer of La Farge Republic, was a licensed Real Estate Appraiser and Real Estate Broker. He specifically discussed the valuation on the assessment of mortgaged real estate properties and the pricing of real estate properties for sale based on fair market value.
Engr. Feliciano stressed that SJDMSCC as a savings and credit cooperative must first evaluate the attributes of a good borrower that is, loan is advanced to a borrower firstly based on the following:
- soundness of the investment in which the money is to be placed;
- the capability of the borrower to execute or implement the investment plan /project; and
- his willingness to meet his obligations.
Afterwards, collateralized loan must be appraised based on the attributes of a good collateral/ security as follows:
- Easy to Value: The market value of the security should be easy to determine in the market and the value should be stable over the period and not fluctuate.
- Easy to Realize: the security should also be marketable or can be easily sold, preferably commercial or residential for real estate properties. The collateral/ security can be effortlessly disposed, liquidated, or realized to cash without incurring additional cost and loss of value.
- Easy to take: a good security should enable the lending institution to acquire an interest or charge over it without delay and additional costs.
- there should be no legal encumbrances , disputes on the security;
- the title deed or ownership of the security should be in favour of the borrower and there should be no outstanding dispute over it; and
- easy to own legally or take physically.
Furthermore, he emphasized that certified/ licensed appraisers and/or assessors of real estate estimate the value of land and the buildings on the land usually before it is sold, mortgaged, taxed, insured, or developed. Accordingly, the succeeding methods must be undertaken:
- Basic Appraisal Procedures
- Techniques in Real Property Appraisal
- Valuation Approaches (Sales Comparison, Cost, and Income)
This seminar was really an eye opener for SJDMSCC officers and staff responsible for the approval of loan applications, approval and valuation of collaterals for loan valuation, and pricing of acquired properties for sale. Valuation is not just about personal judgment and cost but definitely can be scientifically computable for justification of fairness and reasonableness.
- Cluster One Ownership Meeting
- PFCCO-Central Luzon Fitness Dance Party for a Cause
- CCDC Family Day 2014
- Appraisal Seminar: AN EYE OPENER
- Empowering our Members
- Agrilink at the World Trade Center
- No Holding of Checks
- KOOPlympics 2014
- Muling Ipinagdiwang : Buwan ng Kooperatiba
- Karagdagang Gabay sa Abuluyan Program